Monday, February 18, 2019

Is There Butter in My Quinoa???

     Oops, they did it again!!! They just couldn't help themselves! Throwing animal products in purely plant foods seems to be the trend lately that chefs/food preppers have a hard time veering from.  The good news is that if you are anything like me, your taste buds have become so refined that you can detect hidden animal products such as butter, chicken broth or beef stock upon first bite!!!  Many chefs are under the false notion that adding such animal ingredients enhances the flavor of vegetables, grains, soups, etc..   I personally feel that this mindset has the opposite effect- those ingredients actually take away from the unique flavors and subtle nuances that plant foods have to offer.  In my opinion, many food prep peeps lack either creativity, experience or self confidence when presented with the challenge of preparing flavorful and artful cuisine when they resort to using animal products in the process.  In other words...it's a cop out!!!
     I won't soon forget my recent experience at an upscale coffee shop/grill in our very own neighborhood.  I was so excited to try a protein bowl made with quinoa and vegetables.  Naturally, I asked them to omit the feta cheese as well as the egg on top (feta/eggs seem to be on everything from quinoa bowls to salads and avocado toast).  When I then asked if I could customize my bowl, the employee was happy to accommodate me.  I don't always like to identify myself as a "vegan" but rather request that my order be made with no animal products used due to allergies to ensure those ingredients are left out.  I added avocado, lettuce and pumpkin seeds and almonds to my bowl without a fuss.  As my family and I awaited our brunch items (I'm the only vegan), my bowl finally arrived and looked scrumptious.  As everyone dug in with glee, I quickly realized after I took a giant spoonful that my quinoa had been adulterated with butter and I honestly didn't know what to do.  As to not gross everyone out, I gulped it down and called the waitress over.  Luckily, I really don't have any food allergies so non-vegan ingredients won't kill me lol.  I didn't want to draw attention to myself (which is typically unavoidable by merely being vegan)  and simply asked that she speak with the kitchen to see if butter was added to my dish.  Much to my dismay, it was and there I was again...finding myself having to send my dish back and wait for them to prepare it correctly WITHOUT animal products grrrr…..
     By the time I got my newly-prepared bowl, my company had finished their meals and I was left to finish up while everyone watched.  What a drastic improvement on taste- the natural nutty flavor of quinoa shone through to my delight!!  I didn't need to say anything- it was apparent that I had my very own happy meal!!! I'm that kind of vegan that prefers to be subtle and never draw attention to myself.  If you've read any of my other blogs, you will know that I aspire to inspire by example and not my preaching.  As with anything else, like religion and politics, no one wants to be told what to do or how to conduct their lives and by doing so, you will only turn people off.  I just want to live my life, plant based and cruelty free and it should be no one's business or issue.  How hard can it be to leave off animal products from foods from nature?  Apparently, VERY!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment